CHILDREN AS LEARNERS

CHILDREN AS LEARNERS

Postby ALAEE LIZETTE » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:57 am

I disagree with the first statement. I think all groups like to sing and it’s a good way to practice speaking and listening.

I totally agree with the second statement, I think this because recycling it`s good for the students and helps me to check if there are doubts.

I agree with the third statement. I think this because it’s better for the class that children who finished first have extra material in order to avoid disorder or children talking while the others are working.
ALAEE LIZETTE

Re: CHILDREN AS LEARNERS

Postby Paola Rivas » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:42 am

I'm not so keen on the first statement, because as teachers it's also our duty to take time to get to know our students: their likes, needs, expectations,etc. Music is an excellent source of motivation, culture, releases the stress, worries or fears in the class, sets a good rapport and class atmosphere. Besides this, music encourages autonomous learning because the student's motivation can lead into looking up for unfamiliar words, repeat it as many times as he/she wants, learn the correct pronunciation and meaning.

I totally agree with the second statement that as English teachers it's important to review previous classes especially with very young learners; however, it's important to find creative activities appealing to our students interests, otherwise they might get bored to be doing the same.

I'm not really sure on the third statement, because some students might interpret this as 'extra work', perhaps, it could be better if we leave them something pleasing and motivating for them, like: erasing the board, helping someone to finish, helping the teacher to put stamps, etc.
Paola Rivas

Return to Unit 1 - Discussion topic