Mixed Ability Group

Mixed Ability Group

Postby Leticia » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:28 am

1.-What factors do you consider important in causing Mixed ability? Put these in order of importance for you.
a).- Learning style,
b).-aptitude
c).-atitude
d).-personality
e).-previous exposure
f).- motivation.

2.-What do you think of the teachers' suggestions? What else would you do in these situations?

I think they are good suggestions. First I would do an exam to see the way that the students learn designed by Howard Gardner Multiple intelligences such as: What exam is the easiest for you? Do you learn more reading or writing? and then I would apply the learning styles by Kolb to see the type of the activities that are the most attractive for them. Finally I would consider to do a little quiz for the topics, ways to evaluate, the ways to put the students in the class in pairs, in small grous, etc.

3.-Every group is a mixed ability group. Do you agree with this? What are the implications of this statement for teachers?

I totally agree and many times I feel very frustated in some cases but I hope some day I find the key from all of this. At times it's very hard to manage the group especially when you don't know anything about them how they work, learn, interests,etc. On the other hand the learners complaint with the principal because they don't pick up the class or the parents press us for this and when you give your class you have to lower the level of English. Besides It takes more time to finish a topic and we don't conclude the program. The students think English is less important than the rest of all subjets and they don't give the correct value. Other factor is the lack of suitable materials for learning English.

4.-Mixed ability is usually considereted to be a problem. But is it? Could there be some advantages to having students of different levels and abilities in the same class?

I think so. It's a big problem especially because it has to have organisation besides among others things. Even thought at the same time I see and understand nor everybody learn and think at the same rate. Can you image this? What could happen? Maybe we couldn't have what we have now . we woudn't have cars, houses, etc, This could be a chaos.
Leticia

Re: Mixed Ability Group

Postby Leticia » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:04 am

This part missed me.

4.- Because if we don't think in different ways maybe our environment wouldn't have success and there would be lacks in many aspects. It could be in the technology, sciencie, health, infraesttucturs, culture, in everything. It's like if we were only one and the man is a social being and this help us ourselves of several ways.
Leticia

Return to Discussion topic