Postby Irene Sánchez » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:25 am

1. FActors I consider important in causing mixed ability are..(n this order):
Attitude
motivation
aptitude
personality
learning style
previous exposure
3. I really think every group is a mixed-ability group, obviously we have a lot of children with differents levels, aptitudes or attitudes.
the implications about that for teachers, it is that sometimes it is hard to try to give a high level to the pupils that can have it, and to help the students with a low level.
I erally try to be help all the differents pupils I have but sometimes I know we can not be able to arrive to everyone.
It would be perfect to be two teachers in a class at the same time or to separate the pupils in two groups for some of their lessons.
Irene Sánchez

Re: unit 1 activity 8

Postby Olga » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:59 am

I also believe Motivation and Attitude are crucial for learning anything. About the different levels in a class, I think it's better to be avoided and group the students according to their level. Even this way. there will be students with different abilities and styles in a class.

Thanks,
Olga
Olga

Re: unit 1 activity 8

Postby Atala Nebot » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:48 pm

1. The order of factors I consider more important is the following (quite similar to Irene Sanchez):
Attitude
Aptitude
Motivation
Personality
Learning style
Previous exposure

2. Regarding the different kind of classroom situations, the answer is never so easy. It's clear that different students have different learning needs and speeds too, but to me one of the most frustating things is doesn't find a topic where everybody is interested in, for example when I propose a debate in class, because always there are a few bored students, who don't participate at all.

3. I absolutely agree: Every group is a mixed-ability group, with students with different skills, aptitudes, attitudes, motivations, etc. For that reason, as teacher, I need to be able to attend the diversity of my group. The problem is... it's not so easy!!!

4. I usually consider a mixed ability group a problem because the majority of the times, I make my students work individually or in pairs, and always there are one student who is faster than the other, so only one is learning or working. But, to be honest, this disadvantage became an advantage when I propose groups activities, where every pupils is able to do something "better" than other, so the result of the work of the group can be brilliant. In order to motivate my pupils, I try to design a variety of activities where they can improve different skills and in that way they feel they all have something to do, show, give or share.
Atala Nebot

Return to Discussion topic