UNIT 1

UNIT 1

Postby Gwendolyne Sayavedra » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:03 pm

Question 3: "Every group is a mixed-ability group." Do you agree with this? What are the implications of this statement for teachers?

Answer:

Yes, I do. Every single student in our classroom is a human being completely different with thoughts, ideas, emotions and knowledge, that can make a huge difference among every one. For this reason teachers have to apply a whole variety of strategies that help to rise their students acquisition of the language.

Question 4: Mixed ability is usually considered to be a problem. But is it? Could there be some advantages to having students of different levels and abilities in the same class?

Answer:

I do not want to think it is a problem. On the contrary, I prefer to think that it is a challenge for me as teacher. I work in a public school and I teach english to six groups of second grade and six groups of third grade. I am responsible for 440 teenagers, and I try to take advantage of this situation because it is impossible to separate them by levels. Sometimes my advance students are tutors in the class and help and guide to the others that have not the same knowledge. On the other hand, to have students with different abilities is a great oportunity for me because I can perform my classes and teach themes bringing a constantly changing inspirational backgrounds to my work in the classroom for my hearing, visual and Kinesthetic students.
Gwendolyne Sayavedra

Return to Unit 1 - Discussion topic