Unit 1 - Classroom Management – Mixed-Ability Classes

Unit 1 - Classroom Management – Mixed-Ability Classes

Postby Xochitl Salazar » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:02 pm

8. Discussion topics.

Choose two of the questions below.

1. What factors do you consider important in causing mixed ability? Put these in order of importance for you:

previous exposure
aptitude
motivation
learning style
attitude
personality

2. Look again at the classroom scenarios in exercise 1 and the solutions suggested by teachers. What do you think of the teachers' suggestions? What else would you do in these situations?
I think that all of us have been in these situations some day. It means that we have to make a change.

3. "Every group is a mixed-ability group." Do you agree with this? What are the implications of this statement for teachers?
I agree with this statement. The teachers have find different strategies to be able to work with the whole group.

4. Mixed ability is usually considered to be a problem. But is it? Could there be some advantages to having students of different levels and abilities in the same class?
I don't think that mixed ability is a problem. I have never worked at private schools, but at public secondary schools it´s very normal to have these kind of groups, so it´s challenging to teach english to a variety of students, but you learn from them a lot at the same time.
Xochitl Salazar

Return to Unit 1 - Discussion topic