mixed-ability classes (discussion topics)

mixed-ability classes (discussion topics)

Postby nellybcn » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:24 pm

4. Regarding point 4 I think that having a mixed-ability group could have at least one advantage. If you make the learners work in pairs or in groups, those who have a higher level or who grasp the lesson better could share their knowledge and abilities with those who go slower. Sometimes they are more confident about their answers and they show more interest to their classmates than to the teacher. Then those "privileged" students could lead the group and help you to face the situation.
nellybcn

Re: mixed-ability classes (discussion topics)

Postby Lucy (tutor) » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:31 pm

Hi Nelly,

Thanks for posting your comments on the noticeboard. I think you make a very good point and it's great find something positive about working with mixed-ability, especially as in real life pretty much all groups are mixed!
Lucy (tutor)

Postby patricia » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:12 pm

To me, the order of importance would be: learning style and previous exposure. Motivation is the result of the other factors.
Having mixed-ability students is not an advantage to me but a problem. The higher students learn values as generosily, but not content. It always depends on what you want to learn.
And yes, every group is a mixed-ability group, as we are not clones, nevertheless I'd rather have the least mixed groups, with the minimum differences.
patricia

Postby JonathanMoody » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:22 pm

1.What factors do you consider important in causing mixed ability? (previous exposure, attitude, learning style, personality, aptitude, motivation)

Clearly there are many factors affecting a student’s ability to learn. Although all of the above factors have a massive bearing on a student’s grasp of material, without a general aptitude a student will struggle to learn. However, combined with motivation, a good attitude and an effective learning style, a student is far more likely to be able to comprehend a subject. Similarly, having familiarity with a particular learning environment perhaps gives a student an advantage. On the other hand, without motivation for learning, and without a positive attitude, a student is unlikely to learn affectively.

With all of the above factors combined, an ideal learning environment is created. A good attitude and motivation are essential to learn, and can perhaps make up for a lack of other qualities or experience.

4. Mixed ability is usually considered to be a problem. But is it? Could there be some advantages to having students of different levels and abilities in the same class?

Having a class of children with mixed abilities certainly has its advantages, but only if these differences are recognised. If students of differing abilities are allowed to work together and solve problems together, then this is not only going to improve their understanding of the subject, but also their communication skills. Learning to work together despite differences is key. It gives children and teenagers the opportunity to notice and appreciate differences in aptitude and learning styles. However it is the teacher´s duty to remind the students to share the work: one student shouldn´t be shouldering the whole work-load.

It is important to remember that students helping and being helped should benefit the whole class. Not only should it leave the teacher with more time to concentrate on other students, who perhaps need more attention, but it should increase the confidence of the whole class. Children who advise others might feel as if they´ve been given some responsibility, and would gain confidence as a result. Ultimately, solving problems together gives students the confidence to speak in class about future problems. A class in which everyone has a voice is far less likely to leave students behind and the ability divide will decrease as a result.

Turning mixed ability groups to the class´s advantage is only achievable if the differences are acknowledged. If they are not, the ability differentiation could widen, when the aim is to have all of the students learn and improve at a high rate.
JonathanMoody

Postby Admin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:05 pm

Thanks for writing Jonathan. Sure, mixed groups in themselves aren’t a bad thing, although we need to be careful how we handle them, otherwise we end up with everybody feeling frustrated. Both planning and classroom management can help make the situation work for everybody. For example designing activities so they are flexible and allow students to engage with the tasks at their language level, so high achievers are sufficiently challenged and the others don’t feel swamped. We could also offer a small menu of alternative tasks involving more or less complex language and allow the students to choose. In terms of class management it’s probably a good idea to vary how you divide up the group, having mixed groups working together some of the time and then doing other things in ability groups. How about you? How have you dealt with differing abilities in your classes?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Isabel Villaverde » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:49 pm

1. I would say motivation, attitude, previous exposure, aptitude, learning style personality.
2.-About the classroom scenarios, I would say that nowadays students need a lot of visual aid to understand a text and go into it quicker because they belong to a more visual society, and need immediacy, what's the text about and quick? so apart from the different speeds in reading, there is clearly the peer pressure, who knows more about the subject and who is first to get an idea...So, with mixed ability classes I think we have to be sure we provide the visual aid for slow learners and take their feedback into account for sure, as it has been mentioned to get them involve and cater for diversity...Pair group helps, and change them in L or U groups but you get a lot of noise (problem of class management, I wouldn't try much at first until I do not know them better, or go with your strategies hardstaring, ...). I find giving students time to think about grammar very important though they prefer the sensation of moving fast, but for learning (not playing) we all need time. So, I also try to make them conscious about that the need of focus on something for a while (and ask students whether they have understood and make them repeat answer with their own words)

3 and 4. As I completely agree with statement 3 about every group es a mixed-ability group I try to see the positive points (4) as teachers need to cater for the diversity in their classes, it is good to share your view points and ask for feedback from both other teachers and students. Sharing is caring. Most of the students are conscious about their situation and notice if you care, if you try to understand them and help them in their learning.
Isabel Villaverde

Postby Admin » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:16 pm

Ok Isabel, thanks for posting. You are right, providing visual clues to help slower readers understand a text is a good idea. Although whether it's true that the younger generation REQUIRES visuals to be able to make sense of a text more than older people I really don't know.
You also mention the importance of allowing students time to work out their answers and to check answers in pairs. This can all help to keep the class moving at more or less the same pace. But I don't think putting the class into groups is a very practical tactic when checking answers - this would be time consuming and disruptive.
One other very important thing we can do to keep the group working together is monitoring while they are engaged in doing the activity. Here you can provide weaker students with some extra help, so they can keep up with the rest of the group.
OK, see you again soon!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby ELIDETH » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:05 am

I think the order of factors in causing mixed.ability are: previous exposure, aptitude, learning style, attitude, personality and motivation.

In order to answer the question #3.
I agree about "Every group is a mixed-ability group." Because each student have a different way to learn and process the information, at the same time their aptitudes are particular of each one giving them advantages and disadvantages in the way they acquire the knowledge.
I think the implications of this statement for teachers is to design classes that involve the diversity of learning styles in the classrooms and the needs of the students. To encorage us to use different kinds of materias and activities which help them to reinforce their language skills in order to achive their goals,
ELIDETH

Return to Unit 1 - Discussion topic