Unit1. mixed ability groups

Unit1. mixed ability groups

Postby Cristina Vallcorba » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:52 pm

1. The order would be: aptitude/motivation/ attitude/previous exposure/learning style/personality.
The first three factors are the most important in causing mixed ability.The ability of every student to grasp the new language along with their willingness to learn and improve really make a difference in the group.

4. Mixed ability groups are ok if the teacher works with small groups but with big groups is a real problem because it is very difficult for the teacher to get to all the students. There are some positive aspects of working with mixed ability groups: You work with them on values like generosity and cooperation since they help each other in the group to do the activity together. Some of the weaker students get more motivated in these activities and their attitude towards the subject changes and they become more positive and receptive in these lessons.Yet, higher level students usually have to slow down their usual pace to help the weaker students, they do not learn as much content as they could and end up finding the activity unchallenging and they lose motivation.
Cristina Vallcorba

Re: Unit1. mixed ability groups

Postby Admin » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:11 am

Thanks for posting, Cristina. Yes, mixed groups can be problematic. Sometimes we can be lucky: having to teach something can clarify things for the person teaching. I have experienced situations when the stronger student seemed to benefit from taking on a helping role. But as you say, if there is too much of this, frustration and boredom can set in. I think the key is to vary the groups: mix abilities for some activities, and separate abilities for others. You can then give them different tasks to provide the right challenge.
Pieter
Admin
Site Admin

Postby teachergaby » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:26 am

it is a challence to have a mixed ability, as a teacher must find diferents methodology for each students.
teachergaby

Postby Miriam » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:19 pm

1*- in my opinion the order of importance is: aptitude, personality, attitude, learning style, motivation and previous exposure.
2*- I agree with them because each student has different ways to learn and we also have differents ways to teach.
3*- I agree with the statement of "every group is a mixed-ability goup" because each human being is different.
4*- I think that this situation is a challenge for me as a teacher because i can work with different styles and do my best in each class in order all the students can able to comunicate in English.
Miriam

Return to Unit 1 - Discussion topic