Mixed-ability groups

Mixed-ability groups

Postby Roberto Tormo García » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:10 pm

Mixed-ability groups

Those factors which I consider important in causing mixed ability in order of importance are:
Motivation
Learning Style
Attitude
Personality
Aptitude
Previous exposure

"Every group is a mixed-ability group”
I really think that every group is a mixed-ability group. Every student learns in a different way, that is they have different learning styles. What works in one group doesn’t necessarily have to succeed with the next hour group. I think that the teacher must prepare a diverse variety of teaching activities which suit all learning styles and must adopt a humanising way of teaching in order to motivate them. If the teacher succeeds in engaging the students in the class with significant content for them, there will be real communication. Moreover, if the teacher designs creative activities that can be done at different levels by every student, even supposed disruptive students will be willing to participate in the English class.
Roberto Tormo García

Re: Mixed-ability groups

Postby Admin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:45 am

Thanks for your message Roberto. I agree with you - I never had a group of learners that were all the same. Although the differences between the members of one group can be bigger or smaller... What do other people think??
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Unit 1 - Discussion topic