Mixed ability group

Mixed ability group

Postby Sahir Luqman » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:18 pm

1. What factors do you consider important in causing mixed ability? Put these in order of importance for you:

I believe motivation is an important key factor that could push a learner to accomplish his\her goal, but because we are talking about school teaching that means the student is somehow obliged to have a class and that specific subject could be none of the student's interest, so to start my descending order I would go with aptitude first, where a student can attend the class focused, as for I would have my descending order as following

aptitude
learning style
attitude
previous exposure
motivation
personality

4. Mixed ability is usually considered to be a problem. But is it? Could there be some advantages to having students of different levels and abilities in the same class?

the mixed-ability class is a common situation in most schools around the world, it seems to be problematic but actually, it's more of a challenge for me. Starting with class management and planning activities and tasks that would include all paces and levels of students found in the class, diversity in approaches to learning, activities, and tasks make a class more entertaining and helping to all levels of students. In fact, throughout my teaching experience, I was able to figure out how different ideas from individual students could positively affect their colleagues and classmates, this also allowed me to see the flaws and weak points of each student that a teacher should focus on their improvement, as we always try to have our students in groups to work cooperatively, this allows the students to find benefits from each other ideas and thought
Sahir Luqman

Return to Discussion topic