Storytelling

Storytelling

Postby Oscar » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:34 am

I would use the story "The very hungry caterpillar".
With a group of six-year-olds:
- I would start talking about food and showing them the puppet or the image of the caterpillar
- I would show them the flashcards of the different food that appear in the story
- I would create a rap using these words.
- They would sit down close to the teacher and we would sing the "storytelling" song.
- I would tell the story and they would be allowed to repeat words or predict what is going to happen.
- We would give a great round of applause to the story.
- I would ask them to repeat some words they remember.

Differences with a group of six-year-olds:
- We could brainstorm previous language and ask them if they remember the life cicle of a butterfly that we have already studied.
- I would use less body language and I would give more details of the story, asking them questions about the story.
- We could listen to the story online ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ9fq4VqF5c ) and they could answer some questions about the video or doing a fill in the gaps activity.
Oscar

Re: Storytelling

Postby Oksana » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:26 pm

Story "Winnie and Wilbur" (6 years old)
1. Show children short video "Colours"
2. Presentation of cards Colours, repeat vocabulary many times drilling the words with different voice level and games (what's missing, slap the picture, find something.... in the class and so on)
3. Print heroes of the story and introduce them to children, speaking from the heroes (What is your name? How are you?....)
4. Look at the pictures together and try to guess, what has happened in the story.
5. Read the story with miming and pointing at the pictures.
6. Give children pictures to put in order according to the story.
7. Choose a part of the story and try to act it with kids.
8. Children should draw a cat and color him with his favorite colors, name him. Tell the group about it, naming the colours.
9. Revision of the topic colors on some realia.

Differences with a group of 10 years old:
2. Presentation of cards Colours with their written form, change activities into matching, fill in the gaps, write the color to develop writing and reading skills, activities will change interaction from teacher- student to student-student, pairs and group work.
5. Children will Read the story by themselves.
6. Give children pictures and add statements to put in order according to the story, to check understanding and practice new vocabulary usage.
8. Children should not draw a cat and color him with his favorite colors, name him.But they should make a short story about changing colours.
Oksana

Return to Final Task