About names...

About names...

Postby saragones » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:00 pm

The most popular men's names in Spain are: Paco (short for Francisco), José (short for Pep), Jordi (not short for anything)...

There are also what are called compound names which are two names together: Jose Maria, Juan Antonio, Jose Antonio, etc

The most popular girl's names depend on the area where they are born, because mostly girls have names after the "Virgin" of the place where they are born.

However, there are some standard ones like: Pilar, Maria, Inmaculada (usually shortened to Inma), or Francisca (usually shortened to Paca)...

Girl’s compound names are: Maria Luisa, Maria Jose, Maria Elena, Maria del Mar...

I was born in Catalonia, but my family name is a patronymic surname, that is, one of those that derive from the proper noun of the person that in a determinate historical moment adopt the name as a surname. In that case from the north of Spain.

The great influx of foreigners to Spain in more recent years has also left its mark on Babies Names In Spanish with present-day Spaniards adopting some of the more modern names used in other countries, in particular of course, names of cinema or pop stars!

In my country we only usualy use the first name whith very well known people. In other cases we simply use Mrs or Mr followed by people's surname.
saragones

Return to General