Net Search: The Macrobiotic Diet

Postby mkorhone » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:03 am

I want to write about a macrobiotic diet due to my opinion that both a vegan and a fruitarian diet seem to be very one-sided. Therefore I think they are not quite safe or healthy to anyone. Maybe they can be dangerous for example pregnant women, children and elderly people because they concentrate almost only on vegetables or fruits. Of course fruits and vegetables are useful to you but it is too one-sided to eat only them in every day around the years. In addition you could meet bad social problems with your friends and members of family if you had quite different eating habits as them.

I think the macrobiotic diet could be more many-sided. It consists of whole grains such as brown rice, whole wheat berries, barley, millet, rye, corn, buckwheat making up 50-60% of the daily food intake. In addition the diet includes vegetables typically make up 25-30% of the daily food intake. Up to one-third of the total vegetable intake can be raw. Otherwise, vegetables should be steamed, boiled or baked. Then the macrobiotic diet consists of beans or beans products (tofu, natto..) making up 10% of the daily food intake. A small amount of fish or seafood is consumed several times per week. Also seeds, nuts and fruits include to the macrobiotic diet. As cooking oil are used unrefined vegetable oils such as sesame oil.

Meat, poultry, eggs, sugar and dairy are usually avoided in this diet. They are also avoided in vegan and fruitarian diets.

The word "macrobiotic" comes from Greek roots and means "long life". The diet and its philosophy were developed by a Japanese educator named George Ohsawa who believed in simplicity. He recommended that the diet consists only of brown rice and water. Fortunately it is not so one-sided any more.

It is said, typically, people interested in the macrobiotic diet are seeking a healthy way of eating that integrates physical, spiritual and planetary health. This diet is recommended for a cure of cancer, AIDS and chronic diseases. However research has not substantiated these claims.

At least Madonna, her husband and John Travolta have followed the macrobiotic diet.

Link:
Fruitarian diet:
http://diet.com/g/fruitarian-diet

Happy New Year!
Best regards Maarit
mkorhone

Re: Net Search: The Macrobiotic Diet

Postby Alice » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:51 am

Healthy eating is a major concern these days. We should try to find a balanced diet for ourselves and most importantly to be able to give advice to our students.
Alice

Postby alicia » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:12 am

I fully agree, we should be aware of what we eat and drink to be on the healthy side.
Alicia
alicia

Postby Admin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:41 am

Thanks for writing Alicia! I think the most important thing for a healthy diet is to cook your own food and avoid industrial concoctions - I think that is the one thing people can do to have a better diet.
See you,
Pieter
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Unit 5