The TED lesson

The TED lesson

Postby Maarit » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi,

Ken Robinson has three ideas and they are:
1. If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.
2. All kids have tremendous talents — and we squander them pretty ruthlessly.
3. Creativity now is as important in education as literacy, and we should treat it with the same status.

I agree with the points 1. I think it is not necessary always to be right if it means that you must think in the same way as the majority of people. Instead sometimes it can be necessary to disagree with all the other people because we must dare to say our own opinions even though others would not accept us. In addition it is not easy always to say what is absolutely right or wrong.

I have the same opinion as at the point 3: nowadays it is very important to support everybody`s behavior so that we are able to find our creativity. We need people who dare to take risks and help others to survive in this world.

I think that all children have a lot of talents and it is parents` and teachers` job to recognize their talents. We must also encourage children to use these skills. However I do not believe that we waste our children`s talents on purpose. I believe that most of parents and teachers want all the best to their children but educators can be indecisive themselves and therefore they are not able to help their children.

It can be true that schools kill creativity even though the aim is just contradictory.

Ken Robinson`s lesson is very interesting and he can talk very lively way. His examples ( about God and cooking...)are very nice.
I found a couple of important/nice TED talks more: Autistic And Extraordinary ; 5 dangerous things for kids

Take care,
Maarit
Maarit

Re: The TED lesson

Postby Admin » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:36 am

I think I agree with you Maarit - deliberately wasting childrens' talent seems a bit strong. I think it's probably what you say - the teachers don't know how to help them and so they do nothing.
One or two points:
teachers want all the best to their children=.. all the best for their children
the aim is just contradictory= The aim is just the opposite.
See you soon,
Pieter
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Unit 6